Hoffman Engineering Corporation was founded in 1955 by J. Gordon Hoffman. The initial charter of the company called for it to support the photometric needs of the aircraft panel and instrument manufacturers. Many of these small manufacturers were located in the Northeastern United States. At that time color and luminance requirements were becoming more stringent and these companies did not have the equipment necessary to measure their performance. Mr. Hoffman recognized that need and sought to fill it by performing photometric tests in his NIST traceable laboratory. In addition, he designed test equipment for sale to larger aerospace companies.